Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Social Pollution Index

I almost forgot to mention this little feature that I'm developing. I want to report indicators of the counterfactual, illogical, and value-damaging ideas that pervade society. The Index will mostly be about the United States. I am not sure what will eventually be reported but here is a taste of what to expect:

There are 31 ExxonMobile funded groups that have publsihed research disputing scientific claims about global warming. (Harper's Index, 07/05)

Percentage of Americans who believe in miracles: 83 (according to a survey I found through through HowStuffWorks.com)

Percentage who believe in astrology: 29 (same source)

Percentage of Americans who said, in a Pew survey, that living things have always existed in their present form: 42

(I shamelessly stole my format from Harper's Index. Its also worth perusing by the way.)

Is there anything you would like to see added? Please tell me! As I inidcate above, this will be the first in a series of posts spaced over several months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Find Blogs in the Blog Directory